The Christian's in Chiang Mai


Missionaries are not super spiritual beings as some people may think. You will discover that by reading here. We are pretty authentic people who love and miss our kids and even after living in Asia for 40 years have a hard time with good-byes. Raising our four daughters in Thailand was fun but leaving them in the USA, halfway around the globe is not so fun! Yet, as we walk with God we see His blessings on us a hundred fold. Journey with these two Iowa farm kids as we share our photos and experiences of life in Thailand, “The Land of Smiles.” We embrace the Bible as our guide and desire to share God’s message with all people.

June 04, 2009

Home Alone Weekend!

Last weekend was unusual for us. Mike and I were both home in Chiang Mai alone. It was so nice to spend the weekend together. Friday night was the GIS graduation. I was reminded of "how time flies". Doesn't seem that long ago that I was one of those ultra- involved mom's with all the graduation activities. We also played tennis (first time in ages) and got one of our $4/hour foot massages. On our way home from church Sunday, a car we were helping had a problem so we ended up on the motorcycle (me in a dress) and then to add to the adventure it started raining. We also enjoyed two good movies...

First was Amazing Grace, here in our home on DVD. It is based on the life of antislavery pioneer William Wilberforce. As a member of the British parliament, Wilberforce's radical commitment to Christ and his conviction that all people are created in the image of God led him to fight for 20 years for the abolition of the slave trade in the British Empire. Wilberforce led a movement which resulted in freedom and life for people around the world. If you haven't seen it yet, I think it should be on your "must see" list. The story is really inspiring.

We also went to Slumdog Millionaire, for my 2nd time. I love this movie, and the soundtrack- not because it got 8 academy awards including "Best Picture of 2008" - but because it stirs a passion in my heart for street children. How many times in Thailand and other Asian countries have I had a small child come up and pull on my leg with their hand stretched out to me? How many of them are sent out by a syndicate? The first time I saw it I had just been with my grandkids, enjoying their innocence of life (the way it should be for young children) and was reminded in contrast of the life of these street kids.

After a wonderful weekend together, Mike is now in the south again preparing for a new team to come in. Last night they had a huge wind/rain storm and they lost two of their boats.

Please pray for our Lori in Peru. We finally got a call from her and found out she is still struggling with spiritual warfare and sleeping issues. I'll share more later-- but really ask you to pray for a victory in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment